One of the members did a little experiment with using a variety of 4/2 and 8/2 cotton or cottolin, soy milk as the “mordant” with alder cones, rhubarb leaves and avocado skin for color. She dyed the warp with blackberry tea. She also used some commercially dyed yarn for contrasting stripes. I thought it came out really well! I liked the brighter parts because the natural dye is pretty subtle.
At yesterday’s guild meeting we did a burn test to see what “mystery” fibers were. Cotton oddly smelt a bit like burnt marshmallows. We practically made new plastic wire out of nylon.
It was a hot day but cool in the shade. I don’t know if I regularly would do a burn test to figure out what some fibers are but it was interesting to do once! Especially for blends. It was pretty accurate to the guide.
I went to my first meeting of the Warped Weavers! It wasn’t too hard to get to. It was fun to meet people in person, I did the one Zoom but I was away and then had appointments on the other days they had it.
They have a huge library of books! It was also their auction day so I ended up with a rug shuttle, a couple of books and some yarn for under $20. Not too shabby.
I had thought it was the last meeting for the summer but I think they have one more in June. This meeting they shared their “stash busting” projects which was a lot of fun. So creative! One woman shared some info about lucets which was nice. My husband had gotten both of us one but we were kind of at a loss. She had used a latchet lucet to make cord to make pot holders and coiled containers.
Looking forward to the next meeting! I made some bookmarks out of scrap yarn while I was there but no one else brought something to work on.